After a lot of hacking I've now got chronicle displaying comments upon entries.
Since my blog is compiled on my home desktop machine and comment submission happens upon a remote machine the process involves a bit of a hack:
- Publish Blog
The blog is compiled and uploaded to the live location using rsync.
- Wait For Comments
Once the blog is live there are embedded forms which may be used to receive comments.
The CGI script which is the target of the forms will then write each comment out to a text file, located outside the HTTP-root.
- Sync Them
Prior to rebuilding the blog the next time I update I rsync the comments directory to my local machine - such that the comments posted are included in the output
This my local tree looks something like this:
~/blog/ |-- comments/ |-- data/ |-- output/ |-- Makefile `-- chroniclerc
Here I have a Makefile to automate the import of the comments from the live site to the local comments/ directory, rebuild, and finally upload.
All this means that I can rebuild a blog created by a combination of plain text post files and plain text comment files.
It also means that there is a fair lag between comment submission and publication - though I guess there is nothing stopping me from auto-rebuilding and syncing every hour or two via cron...
I'll make a new release with this comment.cgi script and changes once the package hits Debian unstable...