Debconf is coming up soon in Edinburgh, so I figured I'd make a couple of posts for people who are coming.
Party because I've been busy, but mostly because I'm always busy on the Mondays when meetings happen I'm not involved in organization - I figure when we get closer to the time I'll volunteer to collect people, give directions, and staff the information/reception desk at Teviot for three-four days. (I've got two weeks off work; so I'll be around for 99% of the duration.)Steve's Guide to Edinburgh: Expenses
Compared to many places, such as the USA, Edinburgh is expensive. Partly because it is expensive relative to the UK, but partly because of the exchange rate.
Common costs, which will vary a little locally, but are approximately correct for the kind of places you'll be near:
- 20 cigarettes £5.50
- Inside a pub ~£7.00 - but ignore them because a) They'll only have 16, and b) You can't smoke in pubs/clubs/indoors nowadays..
- 1 pint of beer £3.00
- 1 pint of milk £0.50
- Bus fare £1.
- Any single journey, regardless of duration or distance travelled will cost you a single adult ticket.
- Make more than three journeys in a day and you could get a single-day ticket which costs £2.20
- Taxi fare from Teviot to my house ~£5.00
- Alfie, Jacob Applebaum, and other random people who want to watch films, drink beer, and catch up.
That's most of the common prices I think people could care about. If you have specific products / items you'd be curious about feel free to post a comment and I'll give you a figure.