About Archive Tags RSS Feed


Entries tagged node-reverse-proxy

My node-reverse-proxy is both stable and public

20 March 2011 21:50

I posted a brief snippet of code on Friday which was my initial stab at a reverse HTTP proxy in Javascript (using node.js).

Over the past couple of days I've tidied it up, added a command line parser, and made it flexible enough that it works for me.

My node reverse HTTP proxy is now both documented ( a little ) and available for further eyeballs.

Usage is pretty much:

$ node ./node-reverse-proxy.js --config ./path/to/config.file.js

The configuration file defines lists of virtual hosts along with the destination back-ends to proxy to - which is usually going to be a server running upon a high port on the loopback adapter, but might not be.

In addition to that we can perform rewrites such as:

  * Handler for wildcard host: *.repository.steve.org.uk
         * Rewrites for static files - these will be handled via a
         * separate virtual host.
        'rules': {
            '^/robots.txt':  'http://repository.steve.org.uk/robots.txt',
            '^/favicon.ico': 'http://repository.steve.org.uk/favicon.ico',

That says requests for http://chronicle.repository.steve.org.uk/robots.txt will be redirected to http://repository.steve.org.uk/robots.txt.

Alternatively we can invoke javascript for each request matching a pattern:

     * static.steve.org.uk will mostly proxy to
     * but files beneath /private/ have an IP-based ACL.
        host: 'localhost',
        port: '1008',

        'functions': {
            '/private': (function(orig_host, vhost,req,res) {
                var remote = req.connection.remoteAddress;;

                if ( ( remote != "" ) &&
                     ( remote != "" ) &&
                     ( remote != "") &&
                     ( remote != "" ) )
                    res.write( "Denied access to " + req.url  + " from " + remote );

Fun stuff. It was live for my server, replacing apache, for a few hours today. I need to add some trivial HTTP Basic-Auth handling then it will go back.

Otherwise I hope it is vaguely useful to others, and that the provided examples explain things neatly.

ObQuote: "Only one thing alive with less than four legs can hear this frequency" - Superman.



A couple of small tweaks

3 April 2011 21:50

Today I made a couple of small tweaks to my systems. First of all I updated my email handling to allow further restrictions to be applied to incoming mail.

Generally the way I handle incoming mail is to first of all test the recipient, then apply spam checks. To allow mail for a new localpart to be received I'll run this:

cd /srv/example.com/users/valid
touch localpart

The result of the file /srv/example.com/users/valid/localpart existing is that mail is accepted for localpart@example.com.

As of today that still works - any file beneath users/valid allows the appropriate localpart to receive email. But now a directory indicates an ACL. So I can create:

rm    /srv/example.com/users/valid/root
mkdir /srv/example.com/users/valid/root/
touch /srv/example.com/users/valid/root/
touch /srv/example.com/users/valid/root/

Now only the named IP addresses may mail root@example.com.

Finally I updated the proxy which is handling incoming access to my websites, so that I actually take advantage of the regular expression support.

    '(xen-hosting.net|www.xen-hosting.net)': {
        'rules': {
            '^/': 'http://kvm-hosting.org/'

    '(xen-hosting.org|www.xen-hosting.org)': {
        'rules': {
            '^/': 'http://kvm-hosting.org/'

Using regular expressions meant that I didn't have seperate matches for xen-hosting.org and www.xen-hosting.org. (Obviously I could have combined all four hosts into one regexp, but it looks cleaner this way.)

ObQuote: "Nobody likes a perky goth" - Blood Ties.

| No comments


Migrations and movements

8 June 2013 21:50

Recently I wanted to cleanup my "main" remote machine. It is a system I've had for many years, which started off as a i386 KVM-guest and was later migrated in place to an AMD64 installation.

These days the host runs:

  • Mail for many domains, via QPSMTPD and ms-lite.
  • Website hosting for many domains. Each site running under a dedicated per-UID thttpd instance, behind a node reverse proxy.
  • IRC for kirsi.

The plan was originally to move the "mail stuff" to a new (wheezy) guest. I aborted that after discovering that the mutt-patched package has (IMHO) regressed.

So today I spun up a new virtual machine, and configured it to host websites.

Thus far I've migrated steve.org.uk, and lumail.org to the new host. Both simple sites that are built via my static-site-generator. Migration mostly involved configuring the proxy and the thttpd instances - then using rsync to migrate the content.

I've renamed my current host, which was previously www.steve.org.uk and is now ssh.steve.org.uk, and pushed DNS changes.

If all is smooth and happy I'll slowly migrate the rest of the sites. Fingers crossed this will be painless and I'll have a clean split between "login + mail" and "websites".