I have a new desktop machine. An AMD3000 with 1Gb of memory. It is almost entirely setup. Only three Xen-related woes:
- If I run “shutdown” under a Xen kernel “wakeonlan” fails to wake the machine up. I guess ACPI related?
- If I run a Xen kernel I can’t use the NVidia kernel module. So xine won’t play DVDs comfortably (#367326)
- If I run a Xen kernel Qemu’s serial port pass-through fails.
Also gnome-desktop-environment is uninstallable on Sid at the moment. Just when I’d switched all my machines to using it :(
So now I have:
- desktop.my.flat – Main development + desktop machine. To be turned off every night.
- itchy.my.flat – Previous desktop machine P4 + 1Gb ram. Runs DHCP + dnsmasq + xen instances + rsnapshot to backup both desktop, and my remote sites.
- lappy.my.flat – Generic Dell laptop.
- steve.my.flat – Generic Widescreen Dell laptop – supplied by work.
The two Dell Dimension L800s I used for backup purposes are retired. This is good, they had 128Mb of memory each and were always at 90-100% disk capacity. One to go to my sister in York, the other to the first person who claims it in Edinburgh.
Now to find another LCD display …. I have a 19” and a 15”.