I've spent the past days updating several of my websites to be "responsive". Mostly that means I open the site in firefox then press
Ctrl-alt-m to switch to mobile-view. Once I have the mobile-view I then fix the site to look good in small small space.
Because my general design skills are poor I've been fixing most sites by moving to bootstrap, and ensuring that I don't use headers/footers that are fixed-position.
Beyond the fixes to appearances I've also started rationalizing the domains, migrating content across to new homes. I've got a provisional theme setup at steve.fi, and I've moved my blog over there too.
The plan for blog-migration went well:
- Setup a redirect to from https://blog.steve.org.uk to https://blog.steve.fi/
- Replace the old feed with a CGI script which outputs one post a day, telling visitors to update their feed.
- This just generates one post, but the UUID of the post has the current date in it. That means it will always be fresh, and always be visible.
- Updated the template/layout on the new site to use bootstrap.
The plan was originally to setup a HTTP-redirect, but I realized that this would mean I'd need to keep the redirect in-place forever, as visitors would have no incentive to fix their links, or update their feeds.
By adding the fake-RSS-feed, pointing to the new location, I am able to assume that eventually people will update, and I can drop the dns record for blog.steve.org.uk entirely - Already google seems to have updated its spidering and searching shows the new domain already.
Tags: domains, moving