I've got an HTC Desire, running Android 2.2. It is old enough that installing applications such as thsoe from my bank, etc, fails.
The process of upgrading the stock ROM/firmware seems to be:
- Download an unsigned zip file, from a shady website/forum.
- Boot the phone in recovery mode.
- Wipe the phone / reset to default state.
- Install the update, and hope it works.
- Assume you're not running trojaned binaries.
- Hope the thing still works.
- Reboot into the new O/S.
All in all .. not ideal .. in any sense.
I wish there were a more "official" way to go. For the moment I guess I'll ignore the problem for another year. My nokia phone does look pretty good ..