Updated my package-repository

Saturday, 17 February 2018

Yesterday I overhauled my Debian package-hosting repository, in response to user-complaints.

I started down the rabit hole due to:

  W: No Hash entry in Release file /.._._Release which is considered strong enough for security purposes

I fixed that by changing my hashes from SHA1 to SHA256 + SHA512, but I was only making a little progress, due to the more serious problem, my repository-signing key was DSA-based and "small". I replaced it with a modern key, then changed how I generate my packages and all is well.

In the past I was generating the Release files manually, via a silly shell-script. Anyway here is my trivial Makefile for making the per-project and per-distribution archive, no doubt it could be improved:

   all: repo

       @rm -f InRelease Packages Sources Packages.gz Sources.gz Release Release.gpg

   Packages: $(wildcard *.deb)
       @apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages 2>/dev/null
       @gzip -c Packages > Packages.gz

   Sources: $(wildcard *.tar.gz)
       @apt-ftparchive sources . > Sources 2>/dev/null
       @gzip -c Sources > Sources.gz

   repo: Packages Sources
       @apt-ftparchive release . > Release
       @gpg --yes --clearsign -o InRelease Release
       @gpg --yes -abs -o Release.gpg Release

In conclusion, in the unlikely event you're using my packages please see GPG-instructions. I've also hidden any packages which were solely for Squeeze and Wheezy, but they continue to exist to avoid breaking links.

| No comments



Recent Posts

Recent Tags